Primary School Sport
Primary School Sport has been operating since 2013 as an outreach programme from St. Peter’s High School in Gloucester. It has developed an outstanding reputation for providing first class sports coaching, competition and support for Primary Schools.
We believe our service is different because of the quality of the people who are involved in our delivery. Coaches are always carefully selected to deliver their specialist sports in your school depending on the age and capabilities of those pupils they will be teaching.
This is not just a business but a passion. Children of primary school age are impressionable and it is our responsibility to make sure that the PE experience they have in school leaves them excited about sport and wanting more.
Inspire children to enjoy and want to participate in sport
Provide the foundations for children to want to participate in sport for life
Increase the skill-base of children playing sport
Inspire teachers to see the importance of sport in a child’s development
Provide knowledge, support, encouragement and qualifications to teachers so they feel more confident in delivering sport
Help schools satisfy Ofsted criteria with their provision of sport
Emphasise the qualities that are learnt and nurtured through sport and their importance in the development of the individual; confidence, self-esteem, team-work, leadership, loyalty, fair play, decision-making and problem solving
Our coaches and teachers are...
Qualified and specialists in their fields
DBS cleared and Child Protection trained
First Aid trained
Punctual and reliable
Well presented and personable
Meet the TeamKey Personnel
Danny is responsible for co-ordinating many aspects of the Sports Programme delivered in primary schools by Montagu Academy. He is also one of our most senior coaches and holds a Multi-Skills Level 2 qualification, an LTA tennis (UKCC) Level 3 qualification and more. Away from coaching, Danny finds time to; organise the Primary Sports Festivals and oversee PE testing in the schools we work with. He also controls all Social Media and updates through the ‘Blog’ for Montagu Academy.
Throughout his childhood, Danny’s main sport was tennis and he competed nationally and internationally. He also received a tennis scholarship to a university in the United States, where he represented the tennis team and studied Sports Management. More recently, in the last 5 years, as a coach, Danny has been instrumental in the success of St Peter’s High School Tennis and has travelled to national and international events with the junior players.
Quality Assurance & Staff Training
Dave is a former Professional Rugby player (Gloucester RFC) and the former coach of the National league side, Cinderford. Until his retirement he was also the Director of Rugby at the school where he was an Advanced Skills Teacher (AST), St. Peter’s High School. As a coach with St. Peter’s, Dave led the school to the National Daily Mail title in 2006 and to a Runners-up spot in 2009. He is responsible for producing in excess of twenty schoolboy internationals as well as a series of professional players including; Adam Eustace, Marcel Garvey, Ryan Lamb and most notably, current England full international, Charlie Sharples.
Dave will lead all staff training and will monitor the performance of our coaches in Primary Schools.
Oliver is a senior coach with Montagu Academy and is responsible for the delivery of different sports in multiple schools. He holds a number of qualifications across a variety of sports including; a Multi-Skills Level 2, an LTA (UKCC) Level 2 tennis, as well as rugby and football qualifications. Oliver prides himself on being passionate about Health and Fitness as well as having a love for all sports. During his childhood, Oliver played tennis and rugby to an extremely high level. He played for Gloucestershire in both sports and competed across the country. Perhaps the highlight of his junior playing career came in 2009 when he represented St. Peter’s RC High School in both the Daily Mail National Rugby Cup Final at Twickenham as well as the National Schools Tennis Finals – St. Peter’s were runners-up in both competitions. Since his junior days, Oliver has continued to play a high level of tennis whilst also acquiring a Masters Degree in Forensic Psychology.
Inset Delivery & Lesson Planning
Kat was the Ladies’ Captain for the National League Hockey Team – Gloucester City Hockey Club until recently. She graduated from University in Plymouth with a degree in Sports Science and Coaching with Geography and decided to go into teaching. Her first full-time post was at St. Peter’s High School in Gloucester where she has become an ‘outstanding’ teacher and was quickly promoted to Head of Girls’ PE. Kat has a significant background in Physical training as she is a qualified Personal Trainer.
Kat is responsible for overseeing lesson planning and arranging Inset training in the schools.
Allan holds a Multi-Skills Level 2 qualification, a UEFA B FA Level 3 football qualification and more. His specialist area is football and can teach both goalkeeping and outfield. In addition to working for Montagu Academy, Allan coaches and scouts for West Bromwich Albion FC. He also has his own independent goalkeeping academy which has produced 37 goalkeepers who have gone on to play at professional clubs.
Harry holds a Multi-Skills Level 2 qualification, an LTA tennis (UKCC) Level 3 qualification and more. He is the youngest Montagu Academy coach but has already established himself as one of the finest with a maturity that would make you believe he is considerably older. In his junior days, Harry’s main sport was tennis. He was a very accomplished player competing in the National Schools Finals for St. Peter’s High School and playing in junior international tournaments.
All of our coaches are either qualified PE teachers or hold the Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Learning in Physical Education and School Sport
The Children love Sports Afternoon, they have a ‘buzz about it – even some children who don’t normally like sports give it a go.Nikki Duerden
Your team is fab and an asset to the whole programme.Charlotte Blanch
Very impressive consistency and high expectations (including organization and behaviour of the pupils).Liam Jordan
Children have really enjoyed the tennis sessions and the opportunities to take part in an after school club; very high levels of participation.Tim Cooper
Sport and exercise options delivered that satisfy the National Curriculum at Key Stages 1 & 2
- Master Basic Movements (KS1) Use running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and combination (KS 2) Develop flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance (KS 2)
- Sports and exercises delivered: • Multi-skills • Athletics • Gymnastics
- Participate in team games – basic principles of attack v defense (KS 1) Play competitive games and apply principles of attack v defense (KS 2)
- Sports and exercises delivered:Team invasion sports/games: • Football • Hockey • Tag-rugby • Netball/Basketball
- Other team games/sports: • Rounders • Cricket
- Individual sports: Tennis
- Perform dances with simple movement patterns (KS 1) and a range of movement patterns (KS 2)Exercise: Dance
- Take part in outdoor and adventurous activity as an individual and team (KS 2)Exercise: Orienteering (as a team and as an individual incorporating numeracy and literacy too)
Our ‘Full Package’ includes the delivery of all sports and exercises that we have identified as satisfying the National Curriculum for PE at Key Stages 1 and 2 over the course of a year. Should the same classes in your school work with our coaches each week, the pupils will cover all elements of the National Curriculum at Key Stages 1 and 2.
We will provide:
- 2 coaches delivering PE in your school for a day a week for 30 weeks of the year.
- 3 Sports Competition Festivals a year (1 per term) where pupils from your school will have the opportunity to compete against other schools in the sports that have been delivered as part of our programme.
- All coaching sessions will have elements of comparing performances with previous ones: Key Stage 2
- A coach for an afternoon or for a morning (2 hours minimum).
- Inset training for staff with resources (In all sports delivered by us).
- Inset workshops focusing on all areas of the National Curriculum for Key Stages 1 and 2 with guest speakers from the world of sport who are relevant to the subject being delivered.
- After school clubs and Holiday Camps.
- Lesson Plans for each sport linked to the National Curriculum from Reception – Year 6.
- Equipment audit and action plan.
- Expertise audit of staff and action plan.
- Total PE audit and action plan.
- *Coaching Qualifications for staff
- Inspirational speakers from the worlds of sport and adventure (Outdoor Education)Inspiration trips to major sporting venues.
*Montagu Academy is a provider of Level 5 Certificate in Primary School Physical Education Specialism and the Level 6 Award in Primary School Physical Education Subject Leadership.
These qualifications are to become essential for the delivery of Physical Education in Primary schools.